WE CAN’T COMPROMISE WITH TRUMP
Compromise can end extreme partisanship. But today, polarization over Trump’s border wall is bringing the government to its knees. Saturday, with his poll numbers sagging, Trump offered a “compromise” to end the shutdown.
Unfortunately, compromising with Trump is impossible:
- He creates crises: the “shutdown crisis” atop a “border crisis.”
- He supports his fake crises with fear mongering and racist lies.
- Then he offers a dramatic but irrational “solution.”
- Most importantly, in two years as president, he has proven untrustworthy at every turn.
His racist lies are fueling an increase in violent extremism in adults and emboldening teenagers in MAGA caps to harass minorities. He is the true enemy of the people.
His intransigence over a fake crisis is not governing. Holding 800,000 federal workers hostage is not presidential. Separating thousands of long-suffering parents from their children – families who only want to be safe and work hard – is fundamentally un-American.
Where’s Walden on all of this? Complicit in his silence!
This is a fight for the soul of America. We can’t bend to the pain he is inflicting nor accept the lies that brought us here. If we do, this “crisis” will not be his last. We must stand firm and negotiate real solutions to real problems.
Reopen the Government!
Help Federal Workers!
End Trump Regime’s War on Truth!
**ACTION ONE: CALL OUR SENATORS**
SAMPLE SCRIPT FOR SENATORS MERKLEY AND WYDEN:
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent from [town/city], Oregon [zip code]. I’m calling because Trump’s wall compromise is no compromise at all. He’s offering to temporarily fix the problems he created. He cannot be trusted! Please do not provide any new money for the wall. We cannot give in to Trump’s racist lies or his irrational solutions. He must reopen the government. Then we can negotiate real solutions to real problems. Thank you.”
Portland: (503) 326-7525, DC: (202) 224-5244
Salem: (503) 589-4555, Eugene: (541) 431-0229
Medford: (541) 858-5122, Bend: (541) 330-9142
La Grande: (541) 960-7691
Portland: (503) 326-3386, DC: (202) 224-3753
Salem: (503) 362-8102, Eugene: (541) 465-6750
Medford: (541) 608-9102, Bend: (541) 318-1298
Pendleton: (541) 278-1129
**ACTION TWO: CALL COMPLICIT GREG WALDEN**
COMPLICIT GREG WALDEN
DC (202) 225-6730, Medford: (541) 776-4646
Bend (541) 389-4408, La Grande (541) 624-2400
**ACTION THREE: BE AN ACTIVIST**
Visit the ORD2 Indivisible Event Calendar on a regular basis to keep updated on our local activities. Participate with us as often as you can. Check out the following:
Non-ORD2 Indivisible Sponsored Event: Town Hall With U.S. Senator Ron Wyden – Medford
January 23 @ 10:00 am – 11:30 am
Non-ORD2 Indivisible Sponsored Event: Town Hall With U.S. Senator Ron Wyden – Grants Pass
January 23 @ 1:30 pm – 3:00 pm
Save the Date: Sunday, February 17: ORD2 Indivisible Teach and Greet: Building Our Bench
Time and location TBA.
SUBMIT EVENTS TO BE ADDED TO THE ORD2 INDIVISIBLE EVENT CALENDAR
Help us keep current with our event postings. https://ord2indivisible.org/submit-your-event/
- CNN Politics 1.19.19: “Fact-checking Trump’s border speech and DACA offer” https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/19/politics/fact-check-trump-speech/index.html
- Medium 1.17.19: “Merkley Reveals Secret Trump Administration Plan to Create Border Crisis: Leaked memo shows deliberate plans to create a border crisis.” https://medium.com/@SenJeffMerkley/merkley-reveals-secret-trump-administration-plan-to-create-border-crisis-f72a7c3de2bd
- PBS Newhour 1.19.19: “Why Trump’s offer to end the shutdown is being called a ‘non-starter’” https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/why-trumps-offer-to-end-the-shutdown-is-being-called-a-non-starter
- NPR 1.8.19: “FACT CHECK: Trump’sOval Office Pitch For A Border Wall” https://www.npr.org/2019/01/08/683205814/fact-check-trumps-oval-office-pitch-for-a-border-wall
- Vox 1.9.19: “Trump’s big immigration speech was based on 2 false premises
- The president wants you to be very afraid. The facts say you shouldn’t be.” https://www.vox.com/2019/1/8/18174669/trump-speech-immigration-fact-check-border