WHAT IS ORD2 INDIVISIBLE?
ORD2 INDIVISIBLE unites Oregonians living in the enormous Congressional District 2 who share our mission to resist the Trump agenda. Our actions are informed by the Indivisible Guide, which details effective ways to influence our District 2 Members of Congress (MoCs): Senator Ron Wyden (D), Senator Jeff Merkley (D), and Congressman Greg Walden (R).
WHERE IS OREGON CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT 2?
The district covers roughly two-thirds of the state. It includes Baker, Crook, Deschutes, Gilliam, Grant, Harney, Hood River, Jackson, Jefferson, Klamath, Lake, Malheur, Morrow, Sherman, Umatilla, Union, Wallowa, Wasco, and Wheeler counties and a part of Josephine County. Greg Walden has been the Representative for the district since 1999.
WHAT ACTIONS DOES ORD2 INDIVISIBLE TAKE?
We influence our MoCs by expressing our views in four ways:
- Meet with our MoCs and their staffs. ORD2 INDIVISIBLE is doggedly holding Congressman Greg Walden accountable, and we are in close contact with Senators Wyden and Merkley.
- Attend MoC-sponsored events, especially town halls, and other relevant events produced by ORD2I, like-minded groups, local government meetings, and more.
- Call. Call. CALL. – Each week, ORD2 INDIVISIBLE members make hundreds of calls to our MoCs.
- Alert the Media to relevant issues, events, and developments. ORD2 INDIVISIBLE is a fast-growing chapter of the burgeoning Indivisible movement. The media is taking notice and we intend to use that attention to influence our MoCs and public policy.
WHO CAN JOIN?
We are an inclusive group that welcomes people of all backgrounds and beliefs. Our only requirements for your participation in ORD2 INDIVISIBLE are: Active opposition to Trump’s policies and Respect for our Code of Conduct.
Here’s the short version of the code:
- Respect other members’ privacy
- Be patient
- Be respectful
- Be welcoming
- Be courteous to Congressional staffers
- Be Brief
HOW DO I JOIN?
- We are not a membership group, so there is no formal application. We encourage you to join with us by subscribing to our email alerts and following us on social media.
- Join our email list. You will receive our Call-to-Action (scripts for calling your MoCs), information about upcoming actions, events, and meetings, as well as other information.
- Like and follow us on Facebook
- Join our Facebook Discussion Group
- Follow us on Twitter @IndivisibleORD2
- Find us on Instagram
- Attend a meeting. This isn’t mandatory, but we encourage you to attend at least one meeting to get to know our community and see how we operate.
HOW MUCH TIME DOES THIS REQUIRE?
At a minimum, we ask that you make three phone calls a week, one to each of your three MoCs (your Representative and both Senators). That takes less than 15 minutes total. We provide scripts that make it easy for you to call about the issue we’ve agreed to focus on. You’ll have opportunities to get further involved — for example, by writing postcards, emails, letters to editors, volunteering, or attending a meeting with one of your MoCs — but those activities are optional. You choose your level of participation. You may want to make those phone calls to MoCs daily!
DO I HAVE TO COME TO EVERY RALLY OR EVENT?
No. Reaching out to your MoCs is the most important part of our work, and you can do that without attending a meeting or marching in the street. We do encourage new members to attend at least one meeting to meet our community, learn about our process, and participate in guiding our work.
WHAT GOOD CAN ORD2 INDIVISIBLE DO IN A VERY CONSERVATIVE DISTRICT?
Our MoCs are powerful in Washington DC, and they represent us! Through our work, we influence them to wield that power on our behalf. Make your voice heard. Silence may be viewed as consent for legislative action you oppose. What if you agree with something? Call your MoCs and express your views and thank them for supporting the issue.
I’M NOT A CITIZEN. CAN I STILL JOIN?
Yes! The US Constitution ensures equal representation for everyone who lives in the United States, regardless of immigration status. Even if you aren’t eligible to vote in the US, you have the right to be heard by your representatives in Congress.
DO I HAVE TO REGISTER TO VOTE TO JOIN?
No. The Constitution ensures equal representation for everyone who lives in the United States, and that means you have the right to be heard by your representatives in Congress even if you didn’t participate in electing them. That said, voting is one major way to make your voice heard, so we do encourage you to register if you are eligible to vote!
VOTER REGISTRATION OREGON
Oregon Voter Registration Website
WHAT IF I DON’T LIVE IN OREGON DISTRICT 2?
There are thousands of Indivisible groups nationwide and more are popping up every day. It’s easy to search for one near you. Or, start a new Indivisible group in your area.
We’d like to acknowledge and credit the Indivisible San Francisco group for allowing us to use a modified version of their Q&A page.