The CTA team members’ travel schedules (David and Jim) preclude a fresh CTA this morning. Given the gravity of the Kavanaugh nomination juggernaut, please keep working the suggestions in yesterday’s CTA to derail the GOP’s attempt to steal another SCOTUS seat. Here’s that post again with updated ballot and election timers.
Thank you for raising a ruckus! It’s up to We The People to flip a couple of Senators to stop this obscenity.
DAYS UNTIL MID-TERM BALLOTS WILL BE MAILED: 43
DAYS UNTIL MID-TERM BALLOTS ARE DUE: 63
WHAT ARE TRUMP AND GOP HIDING?
STOP KAVANAUGH HEARING NOW!
Senate Republicans are running the most secretive, incomplete confirmation process in modern history—clearly believing they must hide Kavanaugh’s record to succeed.
- National Archives has 6-7,000,000 relevant documents
- Grassley sought only 900,000 from when Kavanaugh was associate White House counsel
- Denied Dems’ repeated requests for the 1+ million from when Kavanaugh was Bush2’s staff secretary, a period he calls the most “interesting and informative” in preparing him for judgeship
- Although Archives couldn’t produce documents for months, the hearing was scheduled for Sept. 4 using documents compiled by Bush’s lawyer (Kavanaugh’s former deputy)
- Of the 415,000 approved, the White House has withheld 101,921
- Only 3% of these were written by Kavanaugh, and many marked are “confidential”
So, what are they hiding?
Documents from work behind the scenes often better reveal a nominee’s thinking than published statements and carefully choreographed testimony. Without public access to all of the records that Dems are requesting, neither the Senate nor the American people can know if Kavanaugh deserves appointment.
Given the unprecedented lack of transparency, the scheduled hearings must be postponed. Dems can prevent the Committee from conducting business by boycotting “business as usual” until all documents are provided. Our Senators must demand:
- No Judiciary hearing until all records released
- No Senate vote until Senators and the American people have access to all of Kavanaugh’s records
- No hearings or vote unless the Mueller investigation clears Trump.
Stop the GOP’s SCOTUS Theft!
**ACTION ONE: CALL OUR SENATORS**
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent and voter from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am calling to thank Senator [*] for his continued opposition to the Kavanaugh nomination. All proceedings must be stopped until his complete record is made available to Judiciary Committee members, all Senators, and the public at-large. Please tell Senator [*] to (1) urge Democratic members of the Judiciary Committee to boycott the Kavanaugh hearings until all records are received and made public and (2) demand that no Judiciary hearing is held before all records are released, no Senate vote is taken until all Senators and the American people have access to all Kavanaugh’s records, and that the nomination does not move forward unless the Mueller investigation clears Trump. Thank you.”
SENATOR RON WYDEN
Portland: (503) 326-7525, DC: (202) 224-5244
Salem: (503) 589-4555, Eugene: (541) 431-0229
Medford: (541) 858-5122, Bend: (541) 330-9142
La Grande: (541) 960-7691
SENATOR JEFF MERKLEY
Portland: (503) 326-3386, DC: (202) 224-3753
Salem: (503) 362-8102, Eugene: (541) 465-6750
Medford: (541) 608-9102, Bend: (541) 318-1298
Pendleton: (541) 278-1129
**ACTION TWO: WORK TO STOP KAVANAUGH AND REMEMBER THE MIDTERMS**
Then: Help take back the Senate and adopt a vulnerable blue senator in a red state. Bring to their attention Red State Democrats Have No Good Reason to Vote for Brett Kavanaugh. Do something every month to help their election. http://www.roadto2018.com/senators.html
- Watch and share Jamie McLeod-Skinner’s video on YouTube:
- Visit Jamie’s website to learn more and keep up to date:
- Make sure you and everyone you know is registered to vote: iwillvote.com
- Help take back the Senate and adopt a vulnerable blue senator in a red state. Do something every month to help their election. roadto2018.com
- Make a plan for the last weekend of midterms: thelastweekend.org
- Check out this new resource from Pod Save America: Vote Save America https://votesaveamerica.com/
- For Kavanaugh, a ‘formative’ job; but for senators, few records are available
- Trump to withhold 100,000 pages of Kavanaugh’s White House records
- Why Democrats are talking more about missing documents than abortion in the Supreme Court battle
- Why Are Republicans Covering Up Brett Kavanaugh’s Past?
- Senate Democrats: Postpone Kavanaugh hearing