DAYS UNTIL MID-TERM BALLOTS WILL BE MAILED: 42
DAYS UNTIL MID-TERM BALLOTS ARE DUE: 62
KAVANAUGH SHUNS GUN VICTIMS
Brett Kavanaugh shunning Fred Guttenberg, the father of Parkland gun violence victim Jamie Guttenberg, demonstrates how out of step he is with the American value of common decency. If Kavanaugh can’t face gun violence, he is not fit to sit on the Supreme Court.
Kavanaugh’s jurisprudence regarding gun safety regulation is outside of mainstream Republican judicial appointees. In a dissent, Kavanaugh equated gun rights with Constitutional free speech rights, stating that a ban on assault weapons was “equivalent to a ban on a category of speech.” As he himself said,
“I’ve been a lonely voice,”
when it comes to the Second Amendment.
If confirmed, Kavanaugh will likely:
- Be a vote for SCOTUS to hear more Second Amendment cases
- Vote to strike down gun safety laws, like state laws banning assault weapons and large capacity magazines
- Refuse to consider public safety concerns
- Vote to overturn “gun bans and gun regulations that are not longstanding,” gutting innovative gun safety regulation, such as denying gun rights to those convicted of domestic violence
The NRA calls Kavanaugh “an outstanding choice.”
Stop the nomination of this Second Amendment absolutist!
Enough is Enough!
**ACTION ONE: CALL OUR SENATORS**
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent and voter from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am calling to thank Senator [*] for his continued opposition to the Kavanaugh nomination. All proceedings must be stopped until his complete record is made available to Judiciary Committee members, all Senators, and the public at-large. Please tell the Senator to demand that Judiciary hearings adjourn until all records are released, and that no Senate vote be taken until all Senators and the American people have access to all of Kavanaugh’s records. Thank you.”
SENATOR RON WYDEN
Portland: (503) 326-7525, DC: (202) 224-5244
Salem: (503) 589-4555, Eugene: (541) 431-0229
Medford: (541) 858-5122, Bend: (541) 330-9142
La Grande: (541) 960-7691
SENATOR JEFF MERKLEY
Portland: (503) 326-3386, DC: (202) 224-3753
Salem: (503) 362-8102, Eugene: (541) 465-6750
Medford: (541) 608-9102, Bend: (541) 318-1298
Pendleton: (541) 278-1129
**ACTION TWO: WORK TO STOP KAVANAUGH AND REMEMBER THE MIDTERMS**
Learn how to defend vulnerable Democratic Senators and which red seats could be flipped, and make a commitment to donate to campaigns.
Then: Help take back the Senate and adopt a vulnerable blue senator in a red state. Bring to their attention Red State Democrats Have No Good Reason to Vote for Brett Kavanaugh. Do something every month to help their election. http://www.roadto2018.com/senators.html
- Watch and share Jamie McLeod-Skinner’s video on YouTube:
- Visit Jamie’s website to learn more and keep up to date:
- Make sure you and everyone you know is registered to vote: iwillvote.com
- Help take back the Senate and adopt a vulnerable blue senator in a red state. Do something every month to help their election. roadto2018.com
- Make a plan for the last weekend of midterms: thelastweekend.org
- Check out this new resource from Pod Save America: Vote Save America https://votesaveamerica.com/
- Kavanaugh shunning Fred Guttenberg