DAYS UNTIL MID-TERM BALLOTS WILL BE MAILED: 83
DAYS UNTIL MID-TERM BALLOTS ARE DUE: 103
SAVE PEOPLE FROM HUNGER
Feeding people is a non-negotiable part of any humane society. Trump’s damaging economic policies will make the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) even more important in the months ahead:
- Wages were supposed to rise under the 2017 tax scam. Instead, they fell
- Trump’s trade wars will wipe out any long-term tax benefits the tax scam’s champions promised to working people
The House and Senate are preparing for a conference on the Farm Bill. The House passed work requirements and tighter eligibility rules for SNAP recipients, risking nutritional support for thousands. The Senate set no work restrictions and expanded pilot job training programs. The fight for the final version is in progress.
SNAP is not the only program in danger. Downward wage and tax revenue spirals make programs like Medicare and Social Security more vulnerable:
- Medicare runs out in eight years — three years earlier than predicted
- Social Security runs out of funds to pay 100% of benefits sooner than expected
Defend the Safety Net!
No Work Requirements for SNAP!
**ACTION ONE: CALL OUR SENATORS**
Portland: (503) 326-7525, DC: (202) 224-5244
Salem: (503) 589-4555, Eugene: (541) 431-0229
Medford: (541) 858-5122, Bend: (541) 330-9142
La Grande: (541) 960-7691
SENATOR JEFF MERKLEY
Portland: (503) 326-3386, DC: (202) 224-3753
Salem: (503) 362-8102, Eugene: (541) 465-6750
Medford: (541) 608-9102, Bend: (541) 318-1298
Pendleton: (541) 278-1129
**ACTION TWO: CALL COMPLICIT GREG WALDEN**
It has become clear that we need a different Congress to protect our safety net.
- Make sure you and everyone you know is registered to vote.
- Join the ORD2 Indivisible team of volunteers. We Need You! Send an e-mail to email@example.com letting us know what you’d like to do or to learn more about our volunteer opportunities and needs.
- Learn more about Jamie McLeod-Skinner, candidate for the Oregon District 2 US House of Representatives seat, https://jamiefororegon.com/
- Make sure every candidate for Congress is answering questions about how they will work to protect SNAP, Medicare and Social Security.
2018 is the most important election in our lifetimes.