STOP TRUMP’S WAR AGAINST ASYLUM SEEKERS
Trump administration’s rush to inflict maximum pain on asylum seekers fleeing life-threatening conditions violates both US Constitution/laws and international conventions on refugees, torture, and children’s rights!
- Family separation to deter asylum seekers violates the “cruel and unusual punishment” clause of the 8th Amendment
- Violates 1951 Convention protecting refugees and US law entitling asylum seekers (even those not at authorized entry points) to be admitted and allowed to present asylum claims
- Sessions’ removal of domestic/gang violence from asylum definition violates the Convention’s prohibition against returning persons to countries where life/freedom are threatened
- Housing asylum seekers in prisons/military installations, denying access to attorneys, forcing pleas to illegal entry before asylum claims are considered, and coercing pleas with threats to withhold their children violate due process
Federal courts recently granted some immediate relief:
- Asylum seekers housed in the Sheridan prison get access to attorneys
- The government is enjoined from separating families and given 30 days (14 for children under 5) to reunite those already separated
Congress must end the unlawful criminalization of the asylum process to end this ongoing humanitarian crisis. Our Senators need to continue their leading role—pushing for legislation strengthening protections for immigrants, including asylum seekers, and ensuring due process protections throughout.
Greg Walden needs to hear that we hold him accountable for his complicity in this outrage!
Q: Where’s Walden?
A: On the Wrong Side of History!
**ACTION ONE: CALL OUR SENATORS**
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent and voter from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am calling today to express my deep concern about the humanitarian crisis created by the Trump administration’s treatment of asylum seekers, which ignores our obligations under both U.S. and international law. Mere support for the Keep Families Together Act is not enough. Additionally, I ask that Senator ______ (1) vote against all “reform” bills that criminalize asylum seeking or interfere with due process rights and (2) push for legislation codifying asylum claims based on domestic or gang violence. Thank you.”
**ACTION TWO: CALL COMPLICIT GREG WALDEN**
**ACTION THREE: REMEMBER FOR THE MIDTERMS**
We need a different Congress to end the humanitarian crisis on the border created by the Trump administration’s zero-tolerance policy, which violates both domestic and international law, and its complete disregard for the due process rights of asylum seekers.
- Make sure you and everyone you know is registered to vote.
- Require every candidate for Congress to answer questions about how they will work (1) to protect immigrant families, (2) to give asylum seekers the right to pursue their claims, (3) to ensure that immigration courts operate free from political pressure and protect the due process rights of the immigrants appearing there, and (4) to create a sane, humane immigration system.
- Donate to progressive candidates who will advocate for an America that reflects your values.
The 2018 elections will be the most important of our lives.
**ACTION FOUR: GIVE TO IMMIGRANT ADVOCATES IN OREGON**
- ACLU-Oregon just convinced a judge that immigrants held in a federal prison in Oregon should be able to a see a lawyer. https://www.aclu-or.org/
- Innovation Law Lab is organizing hundreds of lawyers in Oregon and providing guidance for direct action against ICE. https://innovationlawlab.org/
- Causa is working with immigrant communities. https://innovationlawlab.org/
- PCUN (Pineros y Campasinos Unidos del Noroeste) is working with farmworkers. https://www.pcun.org/
**ACTION FIVE: JOIN A “KEEP FAMILIES TOGETHER” MARCH ON SATURDAY, JUNE 30**
There are more than 600 marches planned and more than 400,000 people have responded that they will participate nationwide.
Join us as we send a clear message to Donald Trump and all Members of Congress:
FAMILIES BELONG TOGETHER!
These protests demand an end to the cruel separation of immigrant families and the reunification of those who have already been separated. We call on Greg Walden to support measures that swiftly and completely end these inhumane practices.
Additional marches are planned throughout Oregon including Albany, Astoria, Bend, Coos Bay, Eugene, John Day, Madras, Port Orford, Portland, Redmond, Roseburg, Salem, Sherwood, The Dalles
Nationwide search link: https://act.moveon.org/event/families-belong-together/
During the Families Belong Together rally in Medford this Saturday, Unite Oregon will be clip-boarding to inform the community about Initiative Petition 22 and collect “No on IP 22” pledges.
Here is a link to the initiative: https://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Repeal_Sanctuary_State_Law_Initiative_(2018)
Here is a link to a fact sheet from One Oregon regarding IP 22:
If you or anyone you know are interested in helping with clip-boarding, please e-mail or call firstname.lastname@example.org (415) 240-7351. She can provide training either today (Thursday 6/28) from 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. at Life Art, 312 Middleford Alley, Medford where there will be poster making, or Friday (June 29) from 11 a.m. – 12 noon at the Unite Oregon office, 1017 N. Riverside Ave Suite 115, Medford.
Here is a link for IP22 info sheets for people who cannot attend one of the training sessions and also pledges that can be completed online or printed to pass on to community members: http://www.oneoregon.org/resources/
Let’s defeat these injustices together!