PROTECT THE SUPPLEMENTAL NUTRITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (SNAP)
STOP GIVING HANDOUTS TO THE WEALTHY
Trump’s GOP is using the Farm Bill (HR2) to undercut low-income peoples’ nutritional needs while giving handouts to the wealthy. A vote may come this Friday. We must defeat it.
HR 2 would:
- open lucrative farm subsidies to more wealthy farm shareholders—who may never set foot on “their” farm.
- cut $20 billion from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) over ten years
- increase SNAP work requirements, putting 7 million people at risk of losing nutritional assistance
- put non-disabled, working-age recipients without children at risk of losing their benefits because of administrative snafus rather than eligibility violations, by having to prove they are working or in training 20 hours/week
- force states to create massive anti-fraud tracking systems
The Senate begins drafting their farm bill this week. We must stand up for our values and for our state: SNAP provides food stamps for 20% of Oregonians—the fourth highest rate nationally.
Compassion—not Criminalization—for People in Need!
**ACTION ONE: CALL OUR SENATORS**
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent and voter from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am calling today because I am outraged that the House is again moving to cut SNAP benefits and force recipients to live with unrealistic work requirements and draconian penalties. I know that Oregon is one of the biggest users of SNAP in the country. I thank you for your years of championing SNAP. As the Senate drafts its bill, I want you to keep standing up for the belief that no one should go hungry, no strings attached. Thank you.”
Portland: (503) 326-3386, DC: (202) 224-3753
Salem: (503) 362-8102, Eugene: (541) 465-6750
Medford: (541) 608-9102, Bend: (541) 318-1298
Pendleton: (541) 278-1129
SENATOR RON WYDEN
Portland: (503) 326-7525, DC: (202) 224-5244
Salem: (503) 589-4555, Eugene: (541) 431-0229
Medford: (541) 858-5122, Bend: (541) 330-9142
La Grande: (541) 960-7691
**ACTION TWO: CALL COMPLICIT GREG WALDEN**
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent and voter from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am calling today because I am outraged that the House is again moving to cut SNAP benefits and force recipients to live with unrealistic work requirements and draconian penalties. I know that 19% of households in our District use SNAP. I want you to stand up for your constituents in need, PUT PEOPLE BEFORE PARTY. No one should go hungry, no strings attached. Vote against HR 2. Thank you.”
COMPLICIT GREG WALDEN
DC (202) 225-6730, Medford: (541) 776-4646,
Bend (541) 389-4408, La Grande (541) 624-2400
**ACTION THREE: REMEMBER FOR THE MIDTERMS**
We need a different Congress to provide compassion for all in this country. No one should go hungry.
- Make sure you and everyone you know is registered to vote.
- Check Trump by working to defeat his enablers like GREG WALDEN. Work to elect Jamie McCleod-Skinner
- Every candidate for Congress must answer questions about how they will work to protect our safety net.
The 2018 elections will be the most important of our lives!