Until Voting Ends!
We’ve been calling it the November 3rd election, but it really takes place in OCTOBER.
Just 26 Days Until Voting Starts!
Mail service could be iffy this year with Trump and DeJoy attacking the USPS. We urge you to vote early, use a ballot box if you can get to one, then track your ballot (more on tracking once the ballots are mailed).
October 13: Last day to register to vote; postmark or online by 11:59 pm
October 14-20: Voter’s ballots mailed; find your ballot box
October 20: Last day for county Voter’s Pamphlet distribution
October 21: Our recommended last day to mail your ballot
November 3: Ballots must be in a ballot box or with the county clerk by 8 pm
We invite you to watch and share this YouTube video by ORD2 Indivisible co-founder, Jessica Sage:
Our Endorsements for November
What Voting Blue means to us: We Steering Committee members are pragmatic progressives with no “purity or litmus tests” for our key issues.
President: Joe Biden
U.S. Senate: Jeff Merkley
U.S. Congress CD2: Alex Spenser
Secretary of State: Shemia Fagan
State Treasurer: Tobias Read
State Attorney General: Ellen Rosenblum
State Senate District 2: Jerry Allen
State Senate District 28: Hugh Palcic
State House District 4: Mary Middleton
State House District 5: Pam Marsh
State House District 6: Alberto Enriquez
Jackson County Commissioner: Terrie Martin
***Today’s Call To Action***
Save American Democracy!
Reform SCOTUS and Federal Courts!
America is suffering from multiple crises:
- Structural racism;
- Failing healthcare system;
- Wealth inequality;
- Poorly managed coronavirus pandemic response causing unnecessary deaths, economic/social/emotional upheaval;
- Climate change driven catastrophes;
- Authoritarian executive branch led by Putin-puppet Trump;
- Supreme Court that allows these atrocities and is eager to trample on existing rights—healthcare, reproductive freedom, voting rights—and will block significant future progressive legislation dealing with these crises.
Decades-long GOP efforts to seize control of the federal courts is succeeding. In unprecedented power grabs, Moscow Mitch is completing a Supreme Court takeover with these bad faith actions:
- Refused to fill the open seat during the Obama administration;
- Upon Trump’s election, immediately changed the rule to fill seats with a 51, rather than 60, vote majority;
- Confirmed alleged sexual predator Brett Kavanaugh without proper vetting;
- Trying to fill RBG’s seat during the presidential election—breaking with precedent.
Trump says he will need a nine-member Court to resolve his post-election lawsuits—an admission that he’s losing. His refusal to commit to a peaceful transition of power is just Trump’s latest repudiation of the US Constitution and two-plus centuries of presidential norms. We will never forgive Greg Walden and everyone else who has enabled Trump’s narcissistic rampage.
We cannot permit Trump to further undermine our democracy by packing the Supreme Court and using it to legitimize his ongoing abuses of power and his attempt to follow Putin’s lead and become another President for Life.
To bolster our democracy and protect the rights guaranteed by the US Constitution, we must reform the Supreme Court. Remedies include, but are not limited to:
- Imposing a Code of Ethics;
- Term limits for SCOTUS and federal court judges;
- Increasing the number of justices.
Work for Landslide BLUE Victory!
Dump Trump! Ditch Mitch!
**ACTION ONE: CALL OUR U.S. SENATORS**
SAMPLE SCRIPT FOR SENATORS MERKLEY and WYDEN:
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent from [city], Oregon [zip code].
We cannot allow the Supreme Court to continue sabotaging our democracy and prevent the implementation of programs to fix the crises we now face. I am asking the Senator to:
- Do everything he can to prevent a vote on Trump’s Supreme Court pick before January 20, 2021 —by withholding unanimous consent, refusing to help the GOP to create a quorum, and boycotting and slowing down the farcical hearings being planned
- Commit to reforming the Supreme Court to save our democracy
- Call out Trump’s refusal to agree to abide by the results of the election for what it is—a weak man’s attempt to stay in power.
I am also asking him to blast the GOP’s refusal to vote on pandemic relief, which Americans need, and demand there be no continuing resolution until the HEROES Act is passed.
SENATOR JEFF MERKLEY
Portland: (503) 326-3386, DC: (202) 224-3753
Salem: (503) 362-8102, Eugene: (541) 465-6750
Medford: (541) 608-9102, Bend: (541) 318-1298
Pendleton: (541) 278-1129
Portland: (503) 326-7525, DC: (202) 224-5244
Salem: (503) 589-4555, Eugene: (541) 431-0229
Medford: (541) 858-5122, Bend: (541) 330-9142
La Grande: (541) 960-7691
**ACTION TWO: CALL COMPLICIT GREG WALDEN**
SAMPLE SCRIPT FOR WALDEN:
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent from [town/city], Oregon [zip code].
I am calling today to demand that Greg Walden finally put country above party by:
- Doing everything he can to convince his Republican colleagues to stop Mitch McConnell from permanently damaging the integrity of the Senate and the Supreme Court
- Supporting any calls for Trump’s impeachment if Trump refuses to allow the winner of the election to fill this position
- Calling out Trump’s refusal to agree to abide by the results of the election for what it is—a weak man’s attempt to stay in power.
Lindsey Graham was right about one thing, Donald Trump (and Mitch McConnell) is destroying the GOP. How can Greg enable that? It makes him complicit.
Where’s Walden? History is watching; Greg’s legacy is at stake.
**ACTION THREE: BE AN ACTIVIST**
September 25, 12:30 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Ongoing every Monday, Wednesday and Friday
#MyORHealth Support is available for Oregon’s “helpers”
Lines for Life has created a Virtual Wellness Room to offer support to helpers, mental health professionals, first responders, social workers and anyone considered an essential worker during the COVID-19 pandemic in Oregon. Each check-in call will have a facilitator to guide the conversation.
“We at Lines for Life want to thank you for all the work you do to keep our communities safe,” the organization said. “We are offering a place for helpers to exchange stories of hope and areas of need. We especially want to hear what things are coming up for you personally and explore how we can cheer one another on to continue the good work you are already doing. We ultimately want to create space to breathe out stress and breathe in hope.”
The meetings are held using Zoom conference calls from 12:30 p.m. to 1 p.m. every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at this link: https://zoom.us/j/4848426773. Please share this invite with anyone in your network of Oregon helpers.
Ongoing Action: ORD2 Indivisible Virtual Postcard and Letter Writing Parties
Postcards to Voters:
Our postcard team is temporarily suspending the delivery of postcards to your door. However, the good news is that you will find everything you need to continue writing from home (including templates to print your own or purchase pre-printed cards) here: https://postcardstovoters.org
You can sign up through https://postcardstovoters.org/volunteer/
To avoid unnecessary trips to the post office, order stamps directly from the USPS:
…and voila, you’re ready to go! Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org any questions.
Letters to Voters
We encourage our team of volunteers to sign up with Swing Left to start writing letters to voters in 12 swing states. It is super easy to join. Check out their website, sign up, and let’s start writing! https://swingleft.org/
Send an e-mail to email@example.com if you would like more information about how to get involved.
Virtual Letter-writing Parties
We encourage you to join virtual letter-writing parties hosted by Oregon Indivisible / Swing Left. The parties are held at noon every Saturday and on the last Tuesday of every month. Here are the links for the next two parties:
**Visit the ORD2 Indivisible Event Calendar on a regular basis to keep updated on local activities. Participate with us as often as you can. We also encourage you to submit events to be added to the ORD2 Indivisible Event Calendar and help us keep current with our event postings. https://ord2indivisible.org/submit-your-event/