THE FIGHT FOR LIFE ON EARTH
Yesterday, as key climate talks began in Poland, diplomats warned that we “are at a crossroads . . . decisive action in the next two years will be crucial.” Underpinning the urgency, the UN’s World Meteorological Organization reported last week that climate chaos has begun and the forecasts for the future are ominous.
Embracing his ignorance, Trump is pursuing “energy dominance,” which stresses expansion of coal and oil production and slashes environmental protections (“burdensome regulations”) especially those aimed at fighting climate change.
Apparently, Greg Walden is also embracing Trump’s ignorance—no sign of him acknowledging climate science findings. In fact, the League of Conservation Voters gives Walden a lifetime pro-environment voting score of an abysmal 9%.
Trump—who claims he loves “beautiful, clean” coal—nominated former coal lobbyist Andrew Wheeler to run the EPA. And last week at the G20, nineteen world leaders signed a pledge to combat climate change. Trump didn’t.
To combat Trump’s dangerous foolishness, political change is coming:
- Today, 64% of Republicans believe climate change is happening, up from 49% three years ago
- Democrats control of the House may free some of the dozen pieces of climate legislation long blocked by Republicans.
- And a sweeping jobs and energy proposal, known as a “Green New Deal,” is gaining momentum in the House.
Support the Green New Deal!
Just Say NO to Andrew Wheeler!
**ACTION ONE: CALL OUR SENATORS**
SAMPLE SCRIPT FOR WYDEN AND MERKLEY:
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent from [town/city], Oregon [zip code]. I am calling because the UN’s new climate report warns us that the environment we love in Oregon is already suffering from climate change and that we have just a few years to fight off the worst climate impacts coming at us. We were heartened to hear last week at your town hall that you plan to throw out the 40 separate tax breaks for fossil fuel companies and replace them with tax breaks that would help the environment. Please push ahead with those. Also, do what you can to stop the confirmation of the new EPA administrator who has said he will interfere with the government scientists working on future climate reports. Finally, look at the Green New Deal winning support in the House, and endorse it if you can. The need for action is urgent. Thank you.”
Portland: (503) 326-7525, DC: (202) 224-5244
Salem: (503) 589-4555, Eugene: (541) 431-0229
Medford: (541) 858-5122, Bend: (541) 330-9142
La Grande: (541) 960-7691
SENATOR JEFF MERKLEY
Portland: (503) 326-3386, DC: (202) 224-3753
Salem: (503) 362-8102, Eugene: (541) 465-6750
Medford: (541) 608-9102, Bend: (541) 318-1298
Pendleton: (541) 278-1129
**ACTION TWO: CALL COMPLICIT GREG WALDEN**
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent from [town/city], Oregon [zip code]. The environment we love in Oregon is already suffering from climate change and we have just a few years to fight off the worst climate impacts coming at us. The need for action is urgent. Please ask Greg Walden to respect the work of climate scientists, reject the Trump regime’s greed-based support of fossil fuels and embrace the Green New Deal. There is no Planet B!”
COMPLICIT GREG WALDEN
DC (202) 225-6730, Medford: (541) 776-4646,
Bend (541) 389-4408, La Grande (541) 624-2400
**ACTION THREE: SAVE THE DATE! DECEMBER 13**
Make plans to attend the ORD2 Indivisible Holiday Gathering, Potluck & Non-perishable Food Drive. Join us for a fun-filled event on Thursday, December 13 from 5:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. at Paschal Winery, 1122 Suncrest Road in Talent.
- WMO Provisional statement on the State of the Global Climate in 2018: https://gallery.mailchimp.com/daf3c1527c528609c379f3c08/files/47970344-dd9a-4eab-adb0-57cf80e4e841/Draft_Statement_26_11_2018_v12_approved_jk.pdf
- A consolidation of pending climate change legislation in the US Congress: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WZURkJEiw3mdwBJSYji0b1q-GrIANWG3/view
- The Economist, 22 Nov. 2018: “Democrats and a climate-change dilemma”
- OECD, UN Environment and World Bank publication “Call for a radical shift in financing for a low-carbon, climate-resilient future” https://www.unenvironment.org/news-and-stories/press-release/oecd-un-environment-and-world-bank-call-radical-shift-financing-low and http://www.oecd.org/environment/cc/climate-futures/