FIRST, DO NO HARM – PROTECT OUR HEALTHCARE
First, do no harm. Medical professionals live by this phrase, obliged to not intentional inflict harm on patients. Why can’t out government do the same?
Every action the Trump administration has taken on healthcare has caused harm. More uninsured. Higher premiums. Medicare trust fund running out of money. Higher drug prices.
Despite the need for more healthcare, the assault continues. The Trump administration is stopping billions of dollars of risk adjustment annual payments (required by law) which help insurers cover patients with expensive medical services and is further cutting funding to help people sign up for ACA insurance.
Harm to our health will also come if Brett Kavanaugh is confirmed to the Supreme Court. Kavanaugh has shown hostility to the constitutionality of covering preexisting conditions, abortion rights, and gun control. He has:
- Argued that the President can decline to enforce a statue, coverage of preexisting conditions, even if a court upholds its constitutionality
- Given speeches questioning the constitutionality of Roe vs Wade
- Argued D.C.’s assault weapons ban was unconstitutional
We deserve a government—and a Representative—that will first, do no harm. Congress must work to protect and expand our healthcare. Where’s Walden!?! Taking money from the healthcare industry!
DO NO HARM!
Healthcare is a Human Right!
**ACTION ONE: CALL YOUR SENATORS**
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent and voter from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am calling because I am outraged by this administration’s constant attacks on healthcare. And if Brett Kavanaugh is confirmed, abortion rights, the ACA and gun control are in danger — which puts my health at risk. I ask the Senator to do all he can to protect our healthcare and to stop Brett Kavanaugh from being confirmed. Thank you.”
**ACTION TWO: CALL COMPLICIT GREG WALDEN**
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent and voter from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am calling because I am outraged by this administration’s constant attacks on healthcare—with Greg Walden’s full consent. And if Brett Kavanaugh is confirmed, abortion rights, the ACA and gun control are in danger — putting my health at risk. I demand that Mr. Walden Do No More Harm, put People Before Party, and do all he can to protect our healthcare and stop Brett Kavanaugh from being confirmed. Thank you.”
**ACTION THREE: REMEMBER FOR THE MIDTERMS**
It has become clear that we need a different Congress to protect our healthcare.
- Make sure you and everyone you know is registered to vote.
- Keep up to date regarding Jamie McLeod-Skinner and her campaign for the Oregon District 2 seat in the US House of Representatives.
- Make sure every candidate for Congress is answering questions about how they will work to expand healthcare for all, including sensible gun control.