FIGHT RACISM: ASK CONGRESS TO SAY NO TO WHITE SUPREMACY
White Supremacist groups are armed, growing, and must be stopped. Congress must do its part by holding congressional hearings, reinstating funds for anti-domestic terrorism programs, and passing sensible laws to prevent gun violence.
• Far right attacks outnumber those by Islamic terrorists by nearly 2:1 http://bit.ly/2uZQHs8.
• DHS and the FBI recently warned Congress about the growing power of white nationalists http://cbsn.ws/2v98MAa.
• Yet Trump proposes to cut funding to fight right wing violence http://bit.ly/2wyA32o .
Violent right-wing groups are here in Oregon, working inside political structures:
• 21 of the 36 Oregon sheriffs have signed an oath circulated by a militia group refusing to enforce new laws to prevent gun violence. This is OUTRAGEOUS! http://bit.ly/2xlHk2Y.
• The Multnomah County Republican Party has elected to allow local right-wing militias to provide security at their events. This is OUTRAGEOUS! http://bit.ly/2vj39yo.
• White nationalist candidates nearly won local seats in Oregon’s 2016 election cycle. This is OUTRAGEOUS! http://bit.ly/2xlHk2Y.
Republican so-called leadership is avoiding hearings on the issue.
THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!
Democrats are organizing. http://politi.co/2viL6IV, http://politi.co/2x768ME Ask our Members of Congress to DEMAND:
• Hearings on hate groups in the House and Senate committees on DHS and the Judiciary.
• Sensible policies to prevent gun violence
• Federal funding to neutralize the influence of Nazi, racist and militia groups.
**ACTION 1: CALL SENATORS MERKLEY AND WYDEN, AND CONGRESSMAN WALDEN**
(Leave a message if you can’t get through.)
SAMPLE SCRIPT for Senators Wyden and Merkley:
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent from [city], Oregon [ZIP code]. I am OUTRAGED by the growing influence of the White Nationalist Movement in our country since the Trump administration took control. Please DEMAND Senate hearings on white supremacy and other hate groups. The Senate MUST also reinstate funding for anti-hate programs and, most importantly, pass sensible legislation to prevent gun violence. Thank you.”
SAMPLE SCRIPT for Congressman Walden:
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent from [city], Oregon [ZIP code]. I am OUTRAGED by the growing influence of the White Nationalist Movement in our country since the Trump administration took control. There is only one side on the issue, the RIGHT MORAL SIDE—no neutral zone—and your refusal to publicly rebuke Trump’s complicity means you are also complicit. It’s way past time for you to put people and country over party! I DEMAND that Congressional hearings on white supremacy and other hate groups be started immediately. The Congress MUST also reinstate funding for anti-hate programs and, most importantly, pass sensible legislation to prevent gun violence. Thank you.”
**ACTION 2: IF YOU CAN, GO TO A TOWN HALL AND ASK A QUESTION**
SAMPLE SCRIPT for both Senators Congressman Walden:
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent from [city]. I am OUTRAGED BY the rise of white nationalism, as seen at Charlottesville and elsewhere since the Trump administration took control. We have an unacceptable problem with white nationalism and hate groups in Oregon. What will YOU do to stop the growing power of militant hate groups, and to disarm them—or at least reduce their firepower? Thank you.”
**ACTION 3: CALL, TEXT, AND EMAIL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY IN RED DISTRICTS TO DO THE SAME**
“SHARE” OR COPY / PASTE THIS ACTION!
Portland: (503) 326-3386, DC: (202) 224-3753
Salem: (503) 362-8102, Eugene: (541) 465-6750
Medford: (541) 608-9102, Bend: (541) 318-1298
Pendleton: (541) 278-1129
Portland: (503) 326-7525, DC: (202) 224-5244
Salem: (503) 589-4555, Eugene: (541) 431-0229
Medford: (541) 858-5122, Bend: (541) 330-9142
La Grande: (541) 960-7691
DC (202) 225-6730, Medford: (541) 776-4646,
Bend (541) 389-4408, La Grande (541) 624-2400
Rock the Resistance Fundraiser!
September 8 @ 7:30 pm – 11:30 pm
Tickets on sale now – click on this link for additional information:
Enter to win a free ticket to the Rock the Resistance Fundraiser!
Answer the following: What one word best describes how you felt when you first heard the final results of the presidential election of 2016?
Enter the random drawing by making a comment on this posting on our Facebook page or by sending a private message to Teresa Safay.
Volunteers Needed! We are looking for some 40 volunteers to assist at the Rock the Resistance Fundraiser. Everyone who commits to volunteer a minimum of 2 hours to assist on September 8 will be eligible for a 50% discount on admission.
Wine donation request: Could you donate a bottle of wine, valued at $20 or more, to be raffled at our Rock the Resistance fundraiser? If you are able to volunteer or to donate wine, please send a private message to Teresa Safay. Thank you!