The census is constitutionally mandated to count the entire U.S. population every ten years and is essential to American democracy. The census:
• determines Congressional districts and government resource allocation
• calculates state’s electoral college votes
• distributes more than $675 billion in federal funds to state and local governments
• is vital to businesses, civic organizations and others who rely on demographic data
It is imperative to get an accurate count!
Trump and his GOP fear accurate counts because underprivileged, transients, minorities, and immigrants are more likely to support Democratic and progressive candidates and shift federal dollars to Democratic, progressive leaning states. They are doing their best to politicize the census and tilt the results:
• Trump failed to nominate a Census Director, after the previous one resigned
• Vast Congressional underfunding of Census Bureau will suppress the voting power of minorities
• The Commerce Secretary’s inclusion of citizenship question (last asked in 1950!) will decrease response rates, putting accurate Congressional representation at risk, short changing vulnerable populations when it comes to government funding
Twelve states are suing to stop questions on citizenship, but Congress must act—Where’s Complicit Walden!?! An inaccurate, underfunded census will cause lasting damage to the democratic process, voting rights and domestic federal funding.
Insist on a fair and nonpartisan census!
**ACTION 1: Call Complicit Greg Walden and our Senators**
(Leave a message if you can’t get through.)
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent and voter from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am very worried that a poorly funded and politicized census will result in an inaccurate count, causing lasting damage to the democratic process, our voting rights, and federal funding of basic services. I urge Mr. Walden/Senator ______ to: 1) block the addition of an untested question about citizenship status to the 2020 census, 2) urge Trump to nominate a competent Census Director, and 3) do all he can to make sure the census is adequately funded. Thank you.”
**ACTION 2: Share with Friends and Family**
Share this post with friends and family. Help them call their Congressional delegations urging them to protect the census by 1) blocking the addition of an untested question about citizenship status to the 2020 census, 2) urging Trump to nominate a competent Census Director, and 3) making sure that the census is adequately funded.
https://ord2indivisible.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/16-Alice-DiMicele-1.jpg10501400CTA Teamhttps://ord2indivisible.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/ord2Logo-300x105.pngCTA Team2018-04-02 06:46:312018-04-02 06:46:31Call to Action: April 2, 2018