STOP THE TRUMP TAX SCAM, A DISASTER FOR OREGONIANS!
For many days, we have explained why the Trump Tax Scam is terrible. It will also disproportionately harm Oregonians. And, the bills’ budget-busting deficit will automatically eliminate funding for essential programs under the Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGO) statute.
Say goodbye to:
• The state and local tax deduction: 46% of Oregonians (vs. 30% nationally) itemize their deductions
• Popular “green tax breaks” for electric vehicles and wind energy
Oregon’s budget will be upended when PAYGO cuts off federal funding for “non-defense discretionary” programs:
• Rural areas will suffer when funding for farm price-supports, conservation efforts on private lands, and agricultural export programs is eliminated.
• Block grants for vocational rehabilitation, affordable housing, social services like foster care, Meals on Wheels, elder abuse prevention, programs for crime victims and many other programs will stop.
• Mineral leasing revenue-sharing programs will end, eliminating Oregon’s 50% share of the lease revenue from its federal lands.
• “Build America Bonds,” lowering state and local borrowing costs, will be defunded.
The Trump Tax Scam is a BUDGET-BUSTER for federal and state budgets and the finances of individual Oregonians, who will see their taxes increase and vital services eliminated.
STOP THE TRUMP TAX SCAM NOW!
**ACTION 1: CALL CONSTITUENTS IN SWING STATES (FROM HOME OR ANYWHERE)**
Call progressive constituents in critical swing states – Alaska, Arizona, and West Virginia – and urge them to call their Senators to VOTE NO on the Tax Scam.
The Indivisible Guide makes it easy with their calling tool: https://www.trumptaxscam.org/calls-to-kill-the-tax-scam/
Better yet: invite visiting family/friends to join you and make calls together! Count how many calls you can make and cheer each other on!
**ACTION 2: CALL OUR SENATORS **
(Leave a message if you can’t get through.)
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am calling about the Trump/GOP Tax Scam. Besides giving tax breaks mainly to the rich, the plan’s budget-busting deficit will trigger automatic program cuts that will hurt every Oregonian. Please use every available procedural tool to stop this bill. Thank you.”
**ACTION 3: SHARE WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY**
Share this post with friends and family, especially those in these key states with GOP senators who have expressed concerns about the bill – Arizona (Flake and McCain), Maine (Collins), Alaska (Murkowski), Tennessee (Corker), Wisconsin (Johnson), Oklahoma (Lankford). Help them call their Members of Congress.
Portland: (503) 326-3386, DC: (202) 224-3753
Salem: (503) 362-8102, Eugene: (541) 465-6750
Medford: (541) 608-9102, Bend: (541) 318-1298
Pendleton: (541) 278-1129
Portland: (503) 326-7525, DC: (202) 224-5244
Salem: (503) 589-4555, Eugene: (541) 431-0229
Medford: (541) 858-5122, Bend: (541) 330-9142
La Grande: (541) 960-7691