Theis week marks 500 days since Greg Walden has had a town hall anywhere in Oregon Congressional District 2. A lot of Indivisibles have gotten tired of his little secret meetings and have decided to do something about it.
If he won’t bring a town hall to us, we’ve decided to take one to him.
Today is the day! Please join us for what we hope is the first and last cross-district “Where’s Walden?” caravan. If you can’t join the full caravan adventure, come to one (or more) of our gathering spots and drive along as far as you can. We anticipate a media presence at each stop.
Here is the schedule:
- 10 a.m. Gather with Rogue Indivisible at Riverside Park, 304 E. Park St., in Grants Pass, or with ORD2 at the left side of the Bi-Mart parking lot, 2280 Ashland Street at the south end of Ashland. Caravan leaves at 10:30.
- 11 a.m. Meet the Medford caravaners at the Medford Armory, 1701 S. Pacific Hwy. Caravan leaves at noon.
- 2 p.m. Arrive in Klamath Falls at the Pavilion area of Moore Park, 740 Lakeshore Dr. Caravan leaves at 3:30.
- 6 p.m. Arrive in Bend for a potluck hosted by Indivisible Bend at Moody Park, 2225 NE Daggett.
- Spend the night in Bend.
- *10 a.m. Meet for a “Where’s Walden?” Rally! *NOTE: Corrected location: “Walden’s Corner”, Bond and Greenwood. Caravan leaves at 11.
- 1:30 p.m. Arrive in The Dalles and meet Indivisible Columbia Gorge at The Dalles City Park, 707 Union St. Caravan leaves at 3:00.
- 4 p.m. We arrive at the Hood River. Meet at the Chamber of Commerce, 720 E. Port Marina, for a party and town hall outside Greg Walden’s office. We don’t know if he’ll be there, but Jamie McLeod-Skinner will!
- Spend the night in Hood River.
SUNDAY, we’ll gather for a little coffee and canvassing before we all head home.
Help us tell Greg Walden that we’re tired of not having town halls, so we’re taking our questions and concerns to him.
Everyone will be responsible for their own gas, food and accommodations. Some Indivisibles have offered homestays. Others are looking for someone to ride with. (Anyone coming over from Baker City?) Dress up your car if you can. We’ll have t-shirts and “Where’s Walden?” signs available at every stop.
There’s still time to participate so if your plans have changed and you need a place to stay or want to ride along, please send an e-mail to Teresa Safay at firstname.lastname@example.org or send her a private message via Facebook.
Visit the Event Calendar on the ORD2 Indivisible website for additional details: https://ord2indivisible.org/calendar/
DAYS UNTIL MID-TERM BALLOTS WILL BE MAILED: 54
DAYS UNTIL MID-TERM BALLOTS ARE DUE: 74
CELEBRATE AND SUPPORT DIVERSITY IN AMERICA
The push for less diversity in America is gaining ground, as the administration finds bureaucratic levers to deport more immigrants and force others into hiding.
We must use our power to stop white supremacist policies and to flip the Congress this fall.
- A new DOJ task force is building on a regrettable Obama-era effort to re-examine fingerprints in 315,000 old naturalization files for citizens who “should not have been naturalized in the first place.”
- The Census has inserted a question about citizenship, likely violating the constitutional requirement to count every living person regardless of citizenship. About 7% of Americans are non-citizens; if they don’t return their forms, congressional districts mostly in Democratic-majority states are likely to be erased.
- The administration would deny citizenship and deport legal immigrants if they or household members ever used public benefits like food stamps, Obamacare, Head Start, or housing vouchers. At least 13.2 million legal immigrants live in the US.
- Trump’s nominee to the Supreme Court has argued that federal labor laws do not apply to undocumented immigrants.
We cannot stand by; remaining silent would make us complicit like Walden.
Donald Trump is Racist!
Stop His Regime’s White Supremacist Policies!
**ACTION ONE: CALL OUR SENATORS**
“My name is [Name]. I am a constituent and voter from [ – ] Oregon, ZIP code [number]. I am outraged by the Trump’s drive to whiten America. I strongly urge the Senator to keep fighting against Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation to the Supreme Court because Kavanaugh is likely to support racist, anti-immigrant policies. Also, I ask the Senator to protect the Census from becoming a tool of anti-immigration policies and to stop any proposal to deny citizenship to or deport immigrants who have used public programs. Thank you for recording my views.”
SENATOR RON WYDEN
Portland: (503) 326-7525, DC: (202) 224-5244
Salem: (503) 589-4555, Eugene: (541) 431-0229
Medford: (541) 858-5122, Bend: (541) 330-9142
La Grande: (541) 960-7691
SENATOR JEFF MERKLEY
Portland: (503) 326-3386, DC: (202) 224-3753
Salem: (503) 362-8102, Eugene: (541) 465-6750
Medford: (541) 608-9102, Bend: (541) 318-1298
Pendleton: (541) 278-1129
**ACTION TWO: CALL COMPLICIT GREG WALDEN!**
“My name is [Name]. I am a constituent and voter from [ – ] Oregon, ZIP code [number]. I am outraged by the Trump regime’s anti-immigration policies and Greg Walden’s silent support of these outrageous policies. Our district benefits tremendously from immigrants, legal and undocumented. It’s time for Mr. Walden to put People and Country Before Party, to protect the Census from being a tool of anti-immigration policies and to stop any proposal to deny immigrants citizenship and deport those who have used public programs. Thank you for recording my views.”