STOP FAMILY INCARCERATION AND PROTECT
Trump’s policy of discouraging immigration by traumatizing immigrant families continues.
The Flores settlement, a legal agreement to protect immigrant children in government custody, requires that children who cross the border with their parents must be released within 20 days. Trump’s answer was to wrest them from their parents and label them “unaccompanied minors.”
He’s trying to have the Flores judge modify the settlement’s terms to allow parents and children to be kept in family jails indefinitely.
Jeff Sessions has removed gang violence and domestic abuse as possible justifications for seeking amnesty. Refusing asylum to women and children fleeing violence is MORALLY REPREHENSIBLE and violates the Refugee Convention. All of this with . . .
Greg Walden’s Complicity!
Hundreds of thousands of Americans took to the streets on Saturday to protest this administration’s inhumane immigration policies. In over 700 cities across the country, people marched to demand an end to family separation, family detention and the criminalization of asylum seekers in the United States. Speaking at Portland’s rally, Senator Wyden urged the crowd to “continue pushing back until all families have safe haven in America.”
Our MOC’s must legislatively protect children’s rights, blocking Republican bills that would strip protections.
Victims of Domestic and Gang Violence Deserve Asylum!
**ACTION ONE: CALL OUR SENATORS**
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent and voter from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am calling today to express my outrage about the humanitarian crisis created by the Trump administration’s zero tolerance policy. I ask that the Senator push to permanently secure through legislation the protections for immigrant children contained in the Flores settlement and for legislation codifying that fleeing from domestic or gang violence will support an asylum claim. I also ask that he vote against all bills that criminalize asylum seeking or interfere with their immigrants’ due process rights. Thank you.”
**ACTION TWO: CALL COMPLICIT GREG WALDEN**
**ACTION THREE: REMEMBER FOR THE MIDTERMS**
We need a different Congress to end the humanitarian crisis on the border created by the Trump administration’s zero-tolerance policy, which violates both domestic and international law, and its complete disregard for the due process rights of asylum seekers.
- Make sure you and everyone you know is registered to vote.
Require every candidate for Congress to answer questions about how they will work (1) to protect immigrant families, (2) to give asylum seekers the right to pursue their claims, (3) to ensure that immigration courts operate free from political pressure and protect the due process rights of the immigrants appearing there, and (4) to create a sane, humane immigration system.
- Donate to progressive candidates who will advocate for an America that reflects your values.
- Learn more about Jamie McLeod-Skinner’s views by visiting her website: https://jamiefororegon.com/
- Watch Jamie McLeod-Skinner’s Facebook video regarding Keeping Families Together:
The 2018 elections will be the most important of our lives.
**ACTION FOUR: GIVE TO ORGS THAT ADVOCATE FOR IMMIGRANTS**
- ACLU-Oregon just convinced a judge that immigrants held in a federal prison in Oregon should be able to a see a lawyer. https://www.aclu-or.org/
- Innovation Law Lab is organizing hundreds of lawyers in Oregon and providing guidance for direct action against ICE. https://innovationlawlab.org/
- Causa is working with immigrant communities. https://innovationlawlab.org/
- PCUN (Pineros y Campesinos Unidos del Noroeste) is working with farmworkers. https://www.pcun.org/