STOP CRIMINALIZING IMMIGRATION
Trump’s executive order to keep immigrant families together actually will cause their massive, indefinite detention:
- DOJ’s zero-tolerance policy stands; although the Border Patrol is temporarily not making criminal prosecution referrals.
- More immigrants will be arrested now that the US has decided to violate the Geneva Convention and refuse asylum to victims of domestic or gang violence.
Border crossings continue apace. “I’d rather accept [arrest], to know that my son is safe,” said a mother waiting with her 4-year-old son.
Trump has a three-pronged plan:
- Expand private prisons – whose stocks jumped after Trump signed the order — and build detention facilities on military bases, possibly including $1 billion worth of “austere” tent camps for 119,000 immigrants.
- Lift a court ban on holding children more than 20 days so families can be detained together.
- Speed up deportation by eliminating immigration court hearings and ignoring immigrants’ due process rights.
Meanwhile, no plans exist to reunite families. DHS and HHS claim to have reunited 500+ children, but there is no proof.
Greg Walden Supports Trump’s Plan!
Make Your Calls!
Stand Against the Criminalization of Immigration!
Keep Families Together!
Stop the Race War Against Non-White Immigrants.
**ACTION ONE: CALL OUR SENATORS**
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent and voter from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am calling today to ask the Senator to fight against the criminalization of immigration, demand that families be kept together, and stop the race war against non-white immigrants. Mere support for the Keep Families Together Act is not enough. Additionally, I ask that he (1) vote against all anti-immigration “reform” bills, (2) oppose all bills that do not cut funding for ICE and CBP (Customs and Border Patrol), and (3) demand accountability from the agencies responsible for family reunification. Thank you.”
**ACTION THREE: REMEMBER FOR THE MIDTERMS**
We need a different Congress to end the criminalization of immigration and the administration’s race war on non-white immigrants.
- Make sure you and everyone you know is registered to vote.
- Require every candidate for Congress to answer questions about how they will work to make sure ICE is abolished, immigrant families are protected, and we create a sane, humane immigration system.
- Donate to progressive candidates who will advocate for an America that reflects your values.
- Learn more about ORD2 U.S. House of Representatives candidate Jamie McLeod-Skinner’s stand on the issues by visiting her website: https://jamiefororegon.com/
The 2018 elections will be the most important of our lives.
**ACTION FOUR: GIVE TO ADVOCATE FOR IMMIGRANTS**
Here in Oregon, 122 men are being held in a federal prison in Sheridan, Oregon. These four organizations are working together to defend their rights and safety, among other issues:
- ACLU-Oregon just convinced a judge that these immigrants should be able to a see a lawyer.
- Innovation Law Lab is organizing hundreds of lawyers in Oregon and providing guidance for direct action against ICE.
- Causa is working with immigrant communities.
- PCUN (Pineros y Campasinos Unidos del Noroeste) is working with farmworkers in Oregon.
**ACTION FIVE: JOIN A “KEEP FAMILIES TOGETHER” MARCH ON SATURDAY, JUNE 30**
There are more than 600 marches planned and more than 400,000 people have responded that they will participate nationwide.
Join us as we send a clear message to Donald Trump and all Members of Congress:
Families Belong Together!
These protests demand an end to the cruel separation of immigrant families and the reunification of those who have already been separated. We call on Greg Walden to support measures that swiftly and completely end these inhuman practices.
Additional marches are planned throughout Oregon: Albany, Astoria, Bend, Coos Bay, Eugene, Madras, Port Orford, Portland, Redmond, Roseburg, Salem, Sherwood, The Dalles
Nationwide search link: https://act.moveon.org/event/families-belong-together/