STOP THE REPUBLICAN BUDGET – PROTECT HEALTHCARE
Quietly, while our focus has necessarily been on Trump’s horrific separation of immigrant families, House Republicans have pushed a budget proposal through committee. It includes severe cuts to Medicare and Medicaid and repeal of the ACA. It should not be allowed to come to the floor for a vote.
The GOP tax cut for the wealthy will add an estimated $1.7 – 2 trillion to the federal deficit. They are using their self-projected image of fiscal responsibility as a diversionary tactic to attack the healthcare safety nets for the elderly and the poor.
Their budget, with the Orwellian title of “A Brighter American Future:”
- repeals the ACA
- cuts $537 billion to Medicare
- permits partial privatization of Medicare
- cuts $1.5 trillion to Medicaid and other health programs
- imposes new caps on Medicaid
- allows states to opt for block grants
- enacts Medicaid work requirements
- includes budget reconciliation language so that it will need only a simple majority to pass
Republican tax cuts for the rich EXPLODED THE DEFICIT! They must not be allowed to finance them on the backs of the most vulnerable among us. Call your MOC.
Just Say NO to this BUDGET!
**ACTION ONE: CALL OUR SENATORS**
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent and voter from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am very worried about the harm the Republicans’ proposed budget will cause to the health of those who are the most vulnerable. Healthcare is a human right. I ask the Senator to do everything possible to prevent the passage of any budget that does not safeguard Medicaid, Medicare and the ACA. Thank you.”
**ACTION THREE: REMEMBER FOR THE MIDTERMS**
It has become clear that we need a different Congress to protect our healthcare. The attacks on our healthcare won’t change until Congress does.
- Make sure you and everyone you know is registered to vote.
- Make sure every candidate for Congress is answering questions about how they will work to make healthcare accessible for all.
- Learn more about ORD2 U.S. House of Representatives candidate Jamie McLeod-Skinner’s stand on the issues by visiting her website: https://jamiefororegon.com/
The 2018 elections will be the most important of our lives.