OPPOSE EXTREME AND UNQUALIFIED JUDICIAL NOMINATIONS
Last week Trump announced his “twelfth wave” of judicial nominations. They joined a group of nominees who, with few exceptions, are dangerously extreme. Trump’s nominees include:
– Wendy Vitter (DC-ED-LA), who refused to agree that Brown v. Board of Education was correctly decided and supported the distribution of brochures falsely linking birth control to illness and violent death
– Kyle Duncan (5th-Circuit), who fought against issuing birth certificates to children of same-sex couples
– Howard Nielson (DC-UT), who believes gay judges shouldn’t decide cases involving LGBTQ issues
– Gordon Giampietro (DC-ED-WI), who did not timely disclose his views that birth control pills are “an assault on nature” and same-sex marriage damages civil society
– Michael Brennan (7th-Circuit), who was nominated despite not having the requisite support of Wisconsin’s nominating commission or blue slips from both WI senators
– Mark Norris (DC-WD-TN), who opposed LGBTQ rights and tried to bar the resettlement of refugees in Tennessee and the removal of Confederate statues
– Thomas Farr (DC-ED-NC), who supported state voter suppression laws and a “racial gerrymander”
Tell Senators Wyden and Merkley to vote NO on these nominations.
Help defeat Senators seeking re-election who support these nominations!
**ACTION 1: CALL OUR SENATORS**
(Leave a message if you can’t get through.)
SAMPLE SCRIPT: “My name is [–] and I’m a constituent and from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am calling because the Republican Senate refuses to exercise its Constitutional powers to force Trump to select qualified, moderate nominees for lifetime judicial appointments. Wendy Vitter, Kyle Duncan, Gordon Giampietro, Michael Brennan, Mark Norris and Thomas Farr, among many others, hold extreme views and are not worthy of elevation to the federal bench, where they will shape America’s jurisprudence for decades. Please tell Senator [Wyden/Merkley] to vote against their confirmation. Thank you.”
**ACTION 2: REMEMBER THIS FOR THE MIDTERMS**
The Republican Senate has not exercised its Constitutional powers to force Trump to select qualified, moderate nominees for lifetime judicial appointments. Senators seeking re-election who support Trump’s extreme and unqualified judicial choices must be voted out. Make sure you and everyone you know is registered to vote. Make sure every candidate for Senate is willing to say NO to extreme nominees to the federal bench.
The 2018 elections will be the most important of our lives.
SENATOR JEFF MERKLEY
Portland: (503) 326-3386, DC: (202) 224-3753
Salem: (503) 362-8102, Eugene: (541) 465-6750
Medford: (541) 608-9102, Bend: (541) 318-1298
Pendleton: (541) 278-1129
SENATOR RON WYDEN
Portland: (503) 326-7525, DC: (202) 224-5244
Salem: (503) 589-4555, Eugene: (541) 431-0229
Medford: (541) 858-5122, Bend: (541) 330-9142
La Grande: (541) 960-7691
Tammy Baldwin ‘Deeply Troubled’ by Comments of Trump Judicial Nominee Gordon Giampietro
Kyle Duncan’s Nomination to 5th Circuit Advances Out of U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee