PROTECT OUR COURTS FROM EXTREMIST JUDGES
Senate Leader McConnell, facing massive pressure from GOP donors, is speeding up judicial confirmations of the right-wing ideologues pushed by Federalist Society.
Gregory Katsas, Trump’s top White House attorney, has already had his Judiciary Committee hearing for appointment to the influential D.C. Circuit that handles most litigation involving power of federal agencies. An active Federalist Society member since 1989, Katsas’ background and legal positions demonstrate why he is unfit for this position.
• advocates for unchecked executive power
• helped craft Muslim travel bans, DACA’s rescission, “election integrity” commission, executive order rolling back contraceptive coverage, White House response to Mueller’s investigation
• advised Trump on business conflicts of interest likely violating Emoluments Clause
• failed to demonstrate independence from Trump’s disregard of constitutional, legal, ethical obligations.
Nominees like Katsas pose a grave danger to the health of the judicial system. To ensure confirmation of only fair, impartial judges, our MoCs must promise to use all available weapons by:
• not returning blue slips
• fully investigating nominees’ positions by limiting the number considered together
• demanding cloture votes and adherence to Senate’s procedural rules
• bringing Senate business to halt for all but mainstream nominees.
Senators Wyden and Merkley have already refused
to return blue slips for a Trump nominee.
Keep calling to support our senators’ efforts!
**ACTION 1: CALL OUR SENATORS**
(or call after hours and leave a message)
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am outraged by the extremist judicial nominees, like Gregory Katsas, that Trump is sending to the Senate for confirmation. I know the Senator is aware of the seriousness of this threat to our judicial system, and I thank him for refusing to return his blue slip on Ryan Bounds, another ultra conservative appellate court nominee. But this is not enough. So, I am asking our Senator to do everything in his power to make sure Senate colleagues are aware of the GOP’s insidious strategy and to convince them to use all weapons available—including bringing Senate business to a HALT until Trump agrees to send nominees with bipartisan credentials. Thank you.”
**ACTION 2: SHARE WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY**
Share this post with friends and family. Help them call their Senators to explain the seriousness of this assault on the federal judiciary and to ask for a promise to use all weapons available to block Gregory Katsas, and Trump’s other ultra conservative judicial nominees, until Trump agrees to send judges with bipartisan credentials.
Portland: (503) 326-3386, DC: (202) 224-3753
Salem: (503) 362-8102, Eugene: (541) 465-6750
Medford: (541) 608-9102, Bend: (541) 318-1298
Pendleton: (541) 278-1129
Portland: (503) 326-7525, DC: (202) 224-5244
Salem: (503) 589-4555, Eugene: (541) 431-0229
Medford: (541) 858-5122, Bend: (541) 330-9142
La Grande: (541) 960-7691