CONGRESS MUST RAISE DEBT CEILING WITHOUT AMENDMENTS
While Congress is in recess during August, a financial catastrophe is brewing in Washington:
• Technically, the U.S. ran out of money in March, but creative accounting allowed Treasury so far to avoid outright default. http://wapo.st/2wwiL3p
• Treasury Secretary Mnuchin implored Congress for months to raise $19.8 trillion debt limit without strings
• He wanted this done before August recess to ease global fears, but talks with Senate leaders broke down http://wapo.st/2hMyN5Z
• Unless the debt ceiling is raised by September 29, the U.S. will default, creating global financial turmoil and risking a recession
• GOP Freedom Caucus is demanding huge spending cuts, as the did in 2011
• The 2011 threat of default caused first downgrading of U.S. credit which cost billions in interest
Raising the debt ceiling doesn’t authorize new spending; it just permits paying for what we’ve already incurred. While McConnell and Ryan agree on a “clean” debt ceiling, GOP grumbling persists. And Congress has only 12 working days in September to avoid default. http://bit.ly/2vc5wVA,https://nyti.ms/2sVk5un, http://nyti.ms/2wAe9se
Now is not the time to debate policy differences. Instead, our MoCs must expeditiously pass “clean” legislation that allows the government to pay its debts. The alternative is unthinkable for both us and the global economy.
**ACTION 1: CALL SENATOR MERKLEY, SENATOR WYDEN AND CONGRESSMAN WALDEN**
(If you can’t call during business hours, leave a voice mail! It all makes a difference!)**
SAMPLE SCRIPT for both Senator Merkley and Senator Wyden:
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am very concerned about the looming financial crises facing our country unless the debt ceiling is raised. Will you promise not to accede to Republican demands for deep spending cuts in order to raise the debt ceiling and, instead, push for a “clean” raise without conditions or extraneous provisions?”
SAMPLE SCRIPT for Congressman Walden:
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am very concerned about the looming financial crises facing our country unless the debt ceiling is raised. Will you agree NOT to mess around with the full faith and credit of the United States and instead support a “clean” raise of the debt ceiling?”
**ACTION 2: WHENEVER POSSIBLE, GO TO A TOWN HALL AND ASK OUR MoCS TO FIGHT FOR A DEBT CEILING HIKE WITH NO STRINGS ATTACHED**
If you attend a town hall meeting, ask them the questions listed above.
**ACTION 3: SHARE WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY**
Share this post with friends and family and encourage them to call their MOC’s and attend town hall meetings.
Portland: (503) 326-3386, DC: (202) 224-3753
Salem: (503) 362-8102, Eugene: (541) 465-6750
Medford: (541) 608-9102, Bend: (541) 318-1298
Pendleton: (541) 278-1129
Portland: (503) 326-7525, DC: (202) 224-5244
Salem: (503) 589-4555, Eugene: (541) 431-0229
Medford: (541) 858-5122, Bend: (541) 330-9142
La Grande: (541) 960-7691
DC (202) 225-6730, Medford: (541) 776-4646,
Bend (541) 389-4408, La Grande (541) 624-2400
Pam Marsh Health Care Town Hall
August 13 @ 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Rally In Support Of Our Veterans (Non-ORD2 Sponsored Event)
August 15 @ 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
Social Hour, Common Block Brewing Company, Medford
August 16 @ 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm
Rock the Resistance Fundraiser!
September 8 @ 7:30 pm – 11:30 pm
Tickets on sale now – click on this link for additional information:|https://ord2indivisible.org/event/rock-the-resistance-fundraiser/
Enter to win a free ticket to the Rock the Resistance Fundraiser!
Answer the following: How would you prefer the money raised at this fundraiser be spent?
1) To create a highway billboard to display Walden’s voting record and stand on issues?
2) To create radio ads to be broadcast throughout District 2 that review Walden’s voting record and stand on issues?3) Other – make your recommendation.
Enter the random drawing by making a comment on this posting on our Facebook page or by sending a private message to Teresa Safay.
Volunteers Needed! We are looking for some 40 volunteers to assist at the Rock the Resistance Fundraiser. Everyone who commits to volunteer a minimum of 2 hours to assist on September 8 will be eligible for a 50% discount on admission. Those interested please send a private message to Teresa Safay. Thank you!