THE HOUSE MUST ACT NOW TO SAVE NET NEUTRALITY AND PROTECT DREAMERS
The midterm elections are coming, and moderate Republicans, fearing defeat, are bypassing party leaders:
- Senate Democrats and 3 Republicans used the Congressional Review Act (CRA) to protect net neutrality
- The discharge petition to overturn net neutrality repeal is gaining momentum in the House
- Bipartisan Senators condemned Russia’s meddling in the 2016 election to help Trump
- If all House Democrats sign the DREAMers discharge petition, only 5 more Republicans are needed to force a floor vote
- The Farm Bill failed in the House – all Democratic Representatives voted “no”
Immediately after the Senate net neutrality vote, a House discharge petition with 166 Democratic co-sponsors was filed. 86% of Americans strongly favor net neutrality, and Senate’s passage puts pressure on Republicans to act.
The same factors drive a discharge petition to force a vote on DREAMers in the House. Four different bills will be considered, with a bipartisan version that provides a pathway to citizenship likely to receive the most votes. This will pressure Senate to do likewise.
All of Oregon’s MoCs – except Walden – have signed both petitions. Your calls worked to force the Senate’s net neutrality vote, so keep them coming. If current members won’t act to save net neutrality and DREAMers, they’ll be replaced in November with ones who will. Yes, this means YOU, Greg Walden.
**ACTION: CALL NON-REPRESENTATIVE GREG WALDEN**
(Leave a message if you can’t get through)
My name is [–] and I’m a constituent and voter from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am very concerned about two time-sensitive issues, the fate of net neutrality and the fate of DREAMers, both of which are of great importance to me and to my fellow voters. Despite receiving more in contributions from the telecom industry over the last 28 years than any other House member, I’m asking Greg Walden to put the needs of his constituents first and vote to restore net neutrality. I also ask that he sign the DREAMers discharge petition so the House of Representatives can finally vote to protect DREAMers from deportation. Thank you.”
DC (202) 225-6730, Medford: (541) 776-4646,
Bend (541) 389-4408, La Grande (541) 624-2400